Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Nature: It's what the doctor orders

The power of nature is fascinating.  I am not referring to hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis or anything of that sort.  Nature has an uncanny ability to revitalize and rejuvinate the body, mind, and soul.

Today I spent far too many consecutive hours in my apartment. The fact that I wasn't very productive with my homework or work added to the lethargy of the day. The back starts to ache, you get restless, you find yourself eating only cereal because making real food would be too much work, and you start rationalizing yourself away from doing the more important things in life. You know those moments that I am talking about. This happens to me far too often.

I live in Provo for heaven sakes. I could be in nature in minutes. So I took off into the mountains for an hour. Oh it was glorious.  The silence with only the sound of the trail crunching underneath your feet. The glow of the moon illuminating your way. It's just...wonderful. There is a reason why so many buildings incorporate nature into their designs.  Now this time I did something that contradicts a true natural experience and I took my phone, which I used to read some uplifting material. Normally I would recommend completely cutting yourself off from communication and technology in order to escape the pollution of information that bombards us everyday but if you can control yourself to something beneficial than go ahead.

I really don't know what I am trying to get at but as I was walking around by myself in the mountains a mere hour ago, I just felt so much better about life. Heck it inspired to write this blogpost. So when you can (not if) take an hour to go out into the woods, up into the mountains or wherever it may be and just enjoy being alone and taking in your surroundings.  It's quite incredible. Also to the couple who drove off once I got up to the parking lot, I am sorry for ruining your evening.  haha


No comments:

Post a Comment